Badass 2010 Shelby Mustang, courtesy of Shelby Forums
So ... remember a few months ago, when Stefania and I started this site? And we said we wanted to take kooky trips and have adventures and generally spend the whole year celebrating?
(Please see: "The Not Bucket List" to your right.)
Well, wishing made things so, and we're taking a pre-BlogHer road trip, up through Michigan and then across the state to Chicago for the conference at the end of July.
Actually, it wasn't wishing so much as finding some visionaries at the Ford Motor Company, who agreed that our "Ford Fan Pilgrimage from the Past to the Future" idea was as awesome (or perhaps funny) as we did.
What's a "Ford Fan Pilgrimage from the Past to the Future"? Glad you asked! It involves:
- picking up a Ford Mustang in Dearborn, MI (is it wrong to wish on every shooting star that it will be a beautiful, powerful, badass Shelby GT500?)
(Btw, if it's what God needs to make it so, I will also cross the threshold of a Catholic church and light as many candles as it takes.)
(Besides, it's not like we're asking for the Super Snake Package, or being picky about colors or demanding the convertible. We're grateful for whatever we get, we just hope it will be a black and white Shelby, and not even a convertible because we're driving long distances, and that's a lot of wind and sun for your hair to deal with.)
- driving the absolute speed limit (at least whenever we see cops) up to Mackinac Island, where we will stay at the Grand Hotel, setting of the romantic cult classic film Somewhere in Time -- we even get to interview the Hotel Historian, who will hopefully clear up this whole "travel through time using only the power of your mind" shenanigans.
- shooting back down to Detroit, where we get to tour the Ford plant and ask a million questions about their new models, sustainability, and who gets to name the colors.
- swapping our glorious Ford Mustang/Possibly Badass Shelby GT500 (which we plan to name The McKenna, after Jane Seymour's character in Somewhere in Time) for something else, perhaps a Ford Fusion Hybrid.
(Naturally, our second car will be called The Collier, after Christopher Reeve's character in the film.)
- hanging out with the delightfully zesty Queen of Spain, who threatened to make us do shots promised to show us the "sights" around the greater Detroit area.
- making our way to Chicago, and arriving a day or two before BlogHer, all the better to receive a personal tour from our dear friends Sassafrass and Foodmomiac. They're going to reveal the secret, best things about Chicago to us, before the other 1,000 crazy blogging women arrive.
After all of that amazing fun, we get to go to BlogHer!
Of course we're going to blog, tweet, Facebook and (gulp) YouTube every step of the way, so you won't miss a moment! Stay tuned for all of the exciting, over-sharing details.
And hey, if you have suggestions for places to see on the way, please, please PLEASE leave 'em in the comments!
WOOT! ROAD TRIP!