My poor, neglected food blog. It's been ignored for a good reason. I started blogging for a cool, new food site and for that I am getting paid. So my own venture has fallen by the wayside a bit while I work for the man.
But, it is still summer and so please, eat some corn and tomatoes, would you?
FRESH CORN, HEIRLOOM TOMATO, AND BASIL SALAD WITH CRUMBLED RICOTTA SALATA
The key here is to use colorful heirlooms like Lemon Boys or Green Zebras and some orange and yellow cherry tomatoes. It makes for a beautiful salad.
- one large ear of corn, kernels scraped off with a sharp knife and reserved
- 3 different heirloom tomatoes (try to choose different colored varieties), chopped into 1/2 in. chunks
- a half-pint of colorful cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 10 leaves of fresh basil cut into ribbons
- 3-4 ounces of ricotta salata, crumbled (available at specialty cheese shops) or you can substitute crumbled Mexican cotija cheese (avail. at most big grocery stores) or crumbled chevre
- olive oil (fruity)
- salt and pepper
Place corn, tomatoes, garlic, and basil in a bowl. Drizzle olive oil over everything, salt and pepper it, and toss. Garnish with crumbled cheese and serve.