This just might be the soup I make once a week for the rest of the summer. Omigoodness, it's delicious. I adapted it from a recipe in the latest edition of Everyday Food. I tried it their way, but I think my improvements make it mo' bettah.
ICY-COLD TOMATO SOUP
- 3 pounds of perfectly ripe tomatoes (any kind), chopped (no need to seed or peel unless you want to)
- 1 cup of chilled tomato juice (I like Clamato for a zesty kick)
- 1/2 cup chilled free-range chicken broth (or an additional 1/2 cup of tomato juice if you prefer)
- 3 tbsps lime juice
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tsp of sugar or honey
- lots of sea salt and freshly ground pepper (it needs it).
Working in 2-3 batches, puree the above ingredients in your food processor or blender. It will be slightly chunky. Chill in fridge for at least one hour before serving. Top with lime-yogurt and chopped avocado.
- 1/2 cup 2% Fage (or other lowfat Greek-style) yogurt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
Whisk the yogurt and the lime juice together in a small bowl. Season to taste with a little salt. Cover and chill.
[photo credit: Everyday Food]