I am a meal planner. I find it helps keep me focus, organized, and sane when I think about meal prep for the week. It also ensures that I stick to my grocery list.
To get my inspiration for my weekly menus I often ask friends what they are cooking, peruse food and/or mom blogs (since moms are in the same boat as I am), or flip through cookbooks and magazines. Then I cobble together a list of what sounds good and that's my menu for the week.
Some things don't change. We tend to do either sandwiches or "breakfast for dinner" one night a week, usually the night that I have my night off with the girls. During the summer we usually have a big salad for dinner on Sunday night. During winter Sunday night dinner turns to heartier fare like stews or braises. For our date night we order pizza for the girls. And, of course, we've talked recently about our "Mexican Mondays."
This week we had Mexican Monday for Sunday night dinner with friends. I made Chile Verde Chicken Enchilada casserole and sauteed sweet corn and black beans. S. brought margarita fixins' and a corn and jalapeno jack cheese risotto that was luscious. (I will get the recipe and post), and SuperGena brought garlicky guacamole, chips, and salsa.
Here's what's on deck for the rest of the week:
- Monday: Frittata sandwiches and green salad
- Tuesday: Halloween (I haven't figured this out yet.)
- Wednesday: Sandwich night (I bought some lovely Molinari fennel salami for this)
- Thursday: Spaghetti with tomato-butter sauce
- Friday: Family dinner out (or take out)
- Saturday: Our date night, pizza night
- Sunday: White bean stew au pistou (pesto)
If you have a blog and you share weekly recipes, please let me know by leaving a comment. I'd love to check it out.