This is what we made for dear lunch guests visiting us from Italy today. It used up two week's-worth of CSA spinach. I served it with a black-eyed pea salad on the side, but a green salad would have been fine, too.
CRUSTLESS SPINACH QUICHE
- 2 bunches of fresh spinach, triple-washed and drained
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- one small onion, chopped
- olive oil
- a splash of white wine (if you like, and I do!)
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup of half and half
- a dash of nutmeg
- 2 cups of shredded light 3-cheese mixture (Trader Joe's)
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9 x 9 (or similar-sized) baking pan.
Drizzle some olive oil in a pan and sauté garlic and onion over medium heat until onions are soft and start to turn golden brown. Add spinach and when it's wilted in the pan, splash in a glug or two of white wine. Cook for about a minute, season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat to cool slightly.
In a large mixing bowl, combine beaten eggs, half and half, nutmeg, cheese, salt and pepper. Add in cooled spinach mixture.
Pour into greased pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until quiche is puffy and eggs are set.