I was given this Dutch oven to try and all I can say is: WOW. This pot is fantastic. I have been curious to try Scanpan every since I learned about their superior heat retention and conduction, and I have to say, they definitely live up to their reputation. This pot was a joy to use.
I used it to make a batch of turkey chili and it made quick work of browning the turkey (over medium heat) and then, even when the pot was on the very lowest setting of my stove, it still kept the chili and a bare simmer. By comparison, I had a pot of soup in another Dutch oven on another burner and to keep my soup at a bare simmer I had to turn the stove up to 3-4 (medium-low). The energy effciency of the Scanpan is truly amazing.
Other nice touches are the vented, see-through lid, and the sturdy handles which stay relatively cool even when handling a simmering pot of chili.
Once the chili was made and served, the pot was a snap to clean thanks to its green non-stick surface. I literally could have wiped it out with a paper towel.
About the pot:
- 5-Layer clad recycled aluminum-stainless steel construction
- Patented ceramic titanium surface with PFOA-Free GreenTek non-stick allows the use of any utensil, including metal utensils
- Allows you to achieve gourmet cooking results by being able to brown, sear and deglaze all different types of food -things you can't do with traditional nonstick pans
- Quick even heat distribution and superb heat retention
- Suitable for all stove tops including induction
Do I recommend this pot? Yes. Wholeheartedly. Put it on your Christmas list now.
Cost to you: About $270
Cost to me: Free